Salad usually isn’t completely satisfying on its own.
And most our made pretty much the same.
I’m not a huge fan of salad, I’ll eat a little portion before dinner, but I don’t crave salad. Usually.
Being from Chicago, I love Portillos. And as Portillos lovers know, you can’t get Portillos outside of Chicago. So going to school in Iowa City prevents me from gorging there as frequently as I would like.
Portillos is my exception to not craving salad. I love their chopped salad.
It has Romaine and Iceberg lettuce, bacon, Gorgonzola cheese, chopped tomatoes, chicken breast, pasta (Ditilini, which I’m usually not a fan of, but it works in this case), green onions, and red cabbage. You may not be convinced by the ingredients, but trust me, this is delicious!!
I found the recipe for this chopped salad to satisfy my craving while I’m away from http://www.fhs.d211.org/departments/fcs/cparsons/…/08%20Salads.docSimilar– :
Day 1 Ingredients:
¼ head of lettuce
1/8 piece red cabbage
2 green onions
1 Roma tomato
1 chicken breast
4 strips of bacon
Day 1 Directions:
- Line jelly roll pan with foil and bake 4 strips
of bacon at 350°F for 20 minutes.
- Grill chicken breast, once chicken breast is
grilled dice into small cubes. Store in a small bag.
- Slice lettuce and red cabbage very thin.
- Slice green onion
- In a bag, place lettuce, red cabbage and green
- Dice Roma tomato and place in a small bag.
- Crumble cooled bacon and place in a bag.
Day 2 Ingredients:
Chopped ingredients from day
½ c. cooked Ditalini
½ c. house dressing
Day 2 Directions
- Place chopped ingredients from day 1 in a large
bowl (combine, lettuce, red cabbage, green onion, chicken and bacon)
- Measure ½ c. cooked ditalini and place in bowl
with ingredients from day 1.
- Lightly toss ingredients and pour dressing over
- Serve immediately.